"...For Life and Godliness..."

This morning, I was spending my time alone with the Lord, and asked Him, "where do you want me to spend this time?" I had been meditating on 1 Peter, but for some reason found myself in the first chapter of 2 Peter. I got stuck on verse 3 and couldn't seem to leave it to read the rest. I took out my pen and began to write one phrase at a time...

"According as His divine power..." 

It is God, not man, that has all the power that we need. It's all about Him and what He can do. His power is divine. Nowhere else but in Him can we find it.


"...hath given unto us..."

This divinely powerful God reached down from the heights of heaven and gave something to man. It was something that already happened -a one time transaction. This divine miracle takes place in every life that receives Christ by faith. What did He give?

"...all things that pertain unto life and godliness..."

That "lack" we often find in ourselves -that inability to live right with God 100% of the time- is not God's fault. According to this phrase in scripture (God Himself said it!), we already have everything -all the tools we need- to live our lives in a godly way. We have it. He has already given us everything we need. It's ours, at our fingertips. And if you're not living a godly life it isn't because God forgot to give you what you need, it's because you're not using the resources He's given you! But how do we use them?

"...through the knowledge of Him..." 

You can't expect to know how to use His tools without knowing the One who made them! So many Christians get this backwards. I've heard so many Christians use the word "try" when it comes to doing a "better job" in their walk. We "try" to act godly, we "try" to have better lifestyles. But, Christian, can I ask you a question? 

...Where is God in all of your "trying"? Who gets the glory if you succeed (which you won't truly succeed if you're just "trying")? 

As a dad teaches a son, God wants to teach us to see life as He sees it.
The key to success in your Christian walk is NOT trying! It's knowing God and walking with Him! I don't mean knowing about Him. I know about a lot of people. But then there are a select few that I know inside out, and they know me that way too. We are real with each other. We know each other's secrets. That is the way it's supposed to be with God! Are you real with Him? Have you ever let Him get real with you? He wants to let you see what He sees when He looks at your life and what He thinks! You can't successfully live your Christian life if you're not getting to know the One who designed the tools you are supposed to be using.

And then as you get to know Him, He empowers you to live your life according to HIS calling for you. What is that calling?

"...that hath called us to glory and virtue." 

We tend to think of all the things we were "meant to" do or be, when it plainly says He's called us to glory and virtue! What glory is it talking about? His or ours? Certainly not ours! We don't have any to talk about! It's His. And He wants His glory to rest on our lives -that glory that comes when we let His face shine on us- as it did on Moses' face when He came down from the mountain where He spoke face to face with God. And where does that virtue come from? Jesus Christ! It is His character God wants to shape our lives after. He is meek, humble, selfless, tenderhearted, just, gentle, and I could go on! His whole life was lived for the glory of the Father. We should seek to be like Him. 

...After reading this verse and meditating on it, I know that I know that I KNOW that CHRIST -knowing Him personally, letting HIM be your greatest Influencer (I think I just made up a word! :) ), letting HIS heart for you be your motivation for life and godliness- is the only Way to be the kind of Christian we are meant to be! Seek Him, seek to know the Father who sent Him, and let Him influence how you live by the power of His Spirit! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When my emotions are out of control...

He gives MORE grace

Living out of His pleasure