When Life Hurts...

Recently, I went through a very painful experience. The death of a dream I had thought was coming true. The loss of something I thought I had gained permanently. Never had I experienced something so difficult before. Never had I guessed that this was going to happen to me.

...But it did. And it hurt.

I praise God for His healing power at work in me... As I write, I write not only to you, but to myself as one who is learning on this journey too. 

This morning, as I was reading in the Psalms, I came across a Psalm that hadn't stood out to me in this way before. As I read, I realized that I was looking at me in the mirror of God's word.
The same story that was taking place in this chapter had been happening to me... All of this is found in Psalm 77.  
"I cry out to God; yes, I shout. Oh, that God would listen to me! When I was in deep trouble I searched for the Lord. All night long I prayed, with hands lifted toward heaven, but my soul was not comforted. I think of God and I moan, overwhelmed with longing for His help...I am too distressed even to pray." (Vs. 1-4)
...It is normal to get to a place where prayer doesn't seem to work, where it feels like your prayers are bouncing off the ceiling, and like God can't hear you... And sometimes, it feels there is no comfort for the hurt we have inside. But, take heart! Just because it feels true, that doesn't mean it is
"I think of the good old days, long since ended, when my nights were filled with joyful songs. I search my soul to ponder the difference now." (V. 5)
It is natural to wonder what made the change, to ask questions... to ask why. But the mistake this psalmist began to make was to look within to find out what had changed. Was it really him?

As soon as he looked within, look what happened next:
"Has the Lord rejected me forever? Will He never again be kind to me? Is His unfailing love gone forever? Have His promises permanently failed? Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has He slammed the door on His compassion? I said, 'this is my fate; the Most High has turned His hand against me.'" (Vs.7-10)
 Doubts filled his mind, and he began to wonder, as all of us do at one point or another if the things he believed about his God were still true. The answer to all of the questions he asked is NO! God has NOT rejected you! No, God is always kind to you! No! He always loves you! His promises have NOT failed, and they never will. He will always be gracious and compassionate! He won't ever turn on you!

...But he was being honest about where he was, he was asking the questions that all of us ask. When doubts flood your mind, don't let yourself drown in them, grab a hold of hope and hang on tight! Look what happens next:
"But then I recall all You have done, O Lord; I remember Your wonderful deeds of long ago. They are constantly in my thoughts. I cannot stop thinking about Your mighty works." (V 11)
  His thoughts turned upward towards God, the only Source of all Hope... Away from himself, away from the painful circumstances, and upward towards Someone who is perfect, Someone who never fails.
"O God, Your ways are holy. Is there any god as mighty as You? You are the God of great wonders! You demonstrate Your awesome power among the nations. By Your strong arm, You redeemed Your people..." (Vs. 13-15)
The writer goes on to tell of how God parted the waters by His mighty presence alone so the people could go through the Red Sea on dry land. He explains that God's presence made the waters tremble and flee and it caused the skies to pour down rain. And then it says the most precious thing ever...
"You led Your people along that road like a flock of sheep..." (V 20)
It doesn't matter how deep the water, or how great the darkness, how awful the pain, or how impossible the situation, because God not only creates a pathway through it, but He is right there to lead us along that pathway. And in all of it, He wants us to simply cling to Him. He is the God of all Hope.

No, hope will not be found when you or I look to change our circumstances to more favorable ones, and it won't be found when we try to escape them altogether. It's only found in the God of Hope. In Him is the promise that ALL things will work together for good, not some things... all of them.

Comments

Unknown said…
"It doesn't matter how deep the water, or how great the darkness, how awful the pain, or how impossible the situation, because God not only creates a pathway through it, but He is right there to lead us along that pathway. And in all of it, He wants us to simply cling to Him. He is the God of all Hope."
This just really touched my heart, it was exactly what I needed today, Sandie! Thank you so much for posting!
xx
Ruthann Marie said…
Amen. It is true. I love you Sandie!

Popular posts from this blog

When my emotions are out of control...

He gives MORE grace

Living out of His pleasure